Monday 2 September 2013

Strategy for Concealing and Revealing of letter and number

The task of creating a trailer that presents my custom island in a way that is distinctive and significant to my place of origin and my main concept is a challenging task. Through researching ways to create an effective and evocative trailer, I was able to summarise eight main ways in which I intend to use to my advantage to be distinctive and significant in the revaluation of my letters and numbers. These include;
  • use evocative music that the reader can interact with,
  • slow-motion,
  • people running/walking,
  • use of scale,
  • impacts/explosion,
  • fade to black,
  • rapid edits,
  • dialogue or inter-titles.
Trying to in-cooperate all of these features, as well as revealing all the letters and numbers is a difficult task in the limited time we have to convey and explore our island.

For my trailer I intend to only focus on revealing a few to ensure that my video is understandable, has a clear story line and is not overwhelmed by the revelation of letters and numbers.


I want my trailer to tell a story, whilst being engaging. For my trailer to be individual and significant to my place of origin and custom island, I have to create a story line that makes sense and is easily understood. My trailer will be a progression - starting out with the death of the main character, then following the characters ghosts' quest to answers as to why he is there. The character is unaware to the fact that he is actually dead. 

My trailer is going to follow the story line of a man who on an island, but doesn’t understand why he is the only one there. The very first scene of my trailer will reveal a blackhole(hence the title will be 'the blackhole'), and to the left of the blackhole formed out of rocks will be the first revelation of my number seven.

I will use the scenes of the blackhole more than once in my video, allowing it to act a a recurring motif throughout the movie. The symbolism behind the blackhole on the island and movie will explore the conceptual opposition between the truth of what the character is unable to see, and the deception that he is experiencing, as well as acting as a metaphor for death, and in particular his death.

The scene will then progress to a large scale view of two other small islands, which will be used as the characters 'quest' to find answers. The binoculars are used to depict the man’s search, in which he will see a distant '500'. This distant 500 is used as a way to not only conceal, but also reveal the first letter 'D'. This is concealed as 'D' is the Roman numeral for 500.

The trailer will then progresses to the man running through the bush, coming to a t- intersection. The t- intersection is suppose act as a continuation of his quest. Whilst the man is stopped he looks to his right, up the trail revealing the purposely shaped '7' in the road. The man also glances straight ahead multiple times in which we will see an evident VII ('7') projected on to the rocks in front of him. In this same scene the transition and repetition of the scene in day light and darkness will illustrate that the man has been searching all day and all night.


Memories of the character will then flash back in a rapid manner signifying what he is thinking. It is in these flashbacks that more numbers and letters will be revealed.

the final scene will revert back to the opening scene where the character is falling into the blackhole. However this time I intend to slow the frames down and colour the clips black and white to signify the man's long quest coming to an end, his memories becoming a blur and the realisation he is dead.






No comments:

Post a Comment